- Heart Disease is very common today specially in young people
- What we eat and what eats us should be consciously monitored
- Smoking, Sedentary lifestyle and Stress are major causes of heart disease
Heart Disease was only thought of in elderly people just few years back, however since last one decade the number of heart patients are very common among young people
Todays’s stressful life and food habits are main causes, Pollution & lack of exercise adds fuel to fire. Working long hours, often in stressful jobs and sleeping less has become the new normal in our lives. Modern work setups involve sitting a lot and not exercising and this can almost double the risk of heart disease
As per statistics
- One person dies every 34 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease. (Source)
- About 20.1 million adults age 20 and older have CAD (about 7.2%).
- About 1 in 5 heart attacks are silent—the damage is done, but the person is not aware of it
- 25 per cent of all heart attacks in Indian men occur under 40 years of age
Image shows how the arteries gets narrow and then blocked when plaque is built up
Assistant professor Qi Sun said: ‘Dietary recommendations should remain on replacing total saturated fat with unsaturated fats or whole grain carbohydrate, as an effective approach towards preventing coronary heart disease.
All were free of major long-term illnesses at the start and were asked about their diets every four years as well as incidences of coronary heart disease.
Heart Disease can be avoided reducing the saturated fat intake
Replacing just one per cent of your saturated fat intake with healthy food can reduce the risk of heart disease by up to eight per cent, scientists claim.
Foods such as steak, chocolate, hard cheese, whole milk and butter are high in saturated fats which is bad for our hearts.
Harvard University scientists found around a five per cent higher intake of fats found in these foods was associated with a 25 per cent increased risk of coronary heart disease over the next 24 to 28 years.
Each of these saturated fatty acids was associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease.
Researchers then estimated the reduction in risk that would be associated with replacement of saturated fatty acids with more healthy nutrients.
Lifestyle changes for mitigating the risk of heart disease
- Regular exercise in any form like yoga, cardio, swimming, cycling (start slowly avoid heavy exercise if you already have symptoms)
- Deep Breathing and meditation should be part of your daily routing
- Replace Milk tea with green tea / Lemon Tea
- Intermediate fasting (not advisable for diabetic patients) .. consult your doctor
- Completely stop smoking and alcohol intake
- Avoid all fried foods and road side snacks.
- Say no to emotional munching , Over eating , Cold drinks & fast food
- More salads and fruits, less meat and spicy food.
- Keep Active, Take a break every one hour
- Minimum 8 hours of quality sleep
Foods to up your good cholesterol
There are certain foods that can help improve your cholesterol ratio and promote good heart health
Walnuts, Avocados,Berries, Fatty Fish, Olive Oil and oatmeals which keeps bad cholesterol from being absorbed into your blood stream.
Hope you like the article, do share with your friends and family and stay healthy.